Monday, January 16, 2012

Contestant Bio: Melanie G.


Tell us a little bit about yourself—twitter style (in 140 characters or less).

I'm a University of Michigan grad and now a third year law student at Brigham Young University in Provo, UT. I'm looking for work in Detroit/Chicago areas (so if you have any leads, let me know). I enjoy sports, photography, and movies.

Why did you decide to sign up for the virtual biggest loser?

It looked interesting and motivating to have health goals in a group. I honestly am not too concerned about a specific weight goal, but I would like to change my lifestyle to include more exercise and eating healthier. I figured this would be a great way to stay motivated. I always have grand aspirations, but come the first week in February, I'm mentally not there anymore. Hopefully this year will be different. There is some accountability - to at least someone in the cyber world.

What are some of the “tactics” you are taking to achieve your goals?

I'm exercising for 45 minutes/5 times per week. My exercise regime varies, but it includes jogging, weight training, and pilates. My food goals are to eat a fruit or a vegetable before a treat. I am limiting my dessert intake to 1 per day. Thus far, it's working well. Also because of the previous bios, I'm now logging everything on myfitnesspal.com and I downloaded the android app. It's a great record for me to see what I'm doing and how many calories I need each day to meet my goals. 

What are some things that help motivate you?

Accountability, friends, and getting results. 

Do you have any advice to others trying to lose weight?

Don't try crazy diets and routines that you can't maintain. Set realistic goals and make sure you stay healthy while pursuing them. Like I said, I want to change my lifestyle, so I still make sure I have room for the foods that I love, but I need to eat them in reasonable portions. A healthy lifestyle is a long term goal, and there is no quick fix. I just try to keep that in mind every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment