Monday, January 16, 2012

Contestant Bio: John M.


Tell us a little bit about yourself—twitter style (in 140 characters or less).
I am a graduate student at the University of Michigan where I do studies in bone growth and regeneration.  I love a doing wide range of activities, anywhere from playing piano to playing sports.  Eating is an activity I enjoy very much.

Why did you decide to sign up for the virtual biggest loser?
I love playing soccer. I have played in various leagues since I was 12.  Now that I am thirty I find myself struggling to keep up and more prone to injuries.  I realized that even though I feel absolutely content with my appearance, I would love to run with 25 less pounds dragging me down and banging on my joints.  If I can do this then I bet I will be athletic well into my forties.
What are some of the “tactics” you are taking to achieve your goals?
I am active enough I think, although I have been trying to go to the gym more often to work on toning my muscle.  The most drastic tactic I have taken has been to remove fats and sugars from my diet.  I think this is similar to a diabetic's diet.  I don't eat bread, white potatoes, or oil.  My wife has opened my eyes to many other options to eating that are not just natural and wholesome, but are extremely flavorful and even filling.  It is quite a food adventure.  
What are some things that help motivate you?
Seeing my weight drop a pound from one day to the next is a highly motivating feeling that I try and milk for all it's worth.  I log my progress on a sheet of paper taped on the wall over the scale.  That way if I gain a pound I can see that it is only a blip in the overall downward trend.
Do you have any advice to others trying to lose weight?
I sometimes eat things that I have committed to not eating. It has even stopped my weight loss for a few days.  But I quickly get back on the path and after a few days I am losing again.  Be positive and say positive things to yourself in your own mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment